– Average pet insurance cost for 5.5-year dog: $48.94
– Average pet insurance cost for 18-month dog: $39.00
– Average pet insurance cost for 6-month puppy: $39.00
– Life expectancy of dog breed: 10-16 years
– Typical height: 8-11 inches
– Typical weight: 9-16 pounds
– Temperament: outgoing, affectionate, playful, charming
Shih Tzu literally translates to “lion dog,” and with the breed’s long, flowing manes of silky hair, it’s not hard to see why. However, Shih Tzus are also purebred dogs. This makes them more likely to have a range of genetic disorders, such as eye conditions like cataracts and dry corneas, and hip and kneecap issues, which makes having pet insurance particularly important.