On 11 February 2022, IVASS published a Letter to the market regarding insurance coverage for medical professional liability in respect of which IVASS carries out an annual survey.
In the survey just published, IVASS is requesting the undertakings falling in the survey ( i.e. undertakings carrying out general liability insurance business with legal seat in Italy, in a non-EEA country, and in EEA country and doing business in Italy in freedom to provide services and right of establishment regimes) to send IVASS the following data:
1. gross premiums collected and number of individuals exposed to risk (structures/ healthcare personnel) for 2021. For the same year, the total premiums and the number of units of insured healthcare personnel relating to specific coverage for gross negligence, underwritten pursuant to art. 10, paragraph 3 of law 24/2017;
2. for claims reported between years 2010 to 2021: cumulative totals up to the end of 2021 relating to:
- sums paid outright;
- sums paid partially;
- number of claims in litigation;
- number of claims reserved in a litigation situation;
- number of unpaid claims;
3. prospects and possible obstacles for the operations of companies in the medical civil liability sector;
4. characteristics of insurance coverage in the medical third-party liability sector;
5. analytical development of the claims paid and reserves for 2020 and 2021, for claims reported in the years between 2010 and 2021;
6. for each individual contract signed by healthcare personnel in 2021, some information must be provided on the insured, on the subscriber and on the contract itself. Details on the information to be produced are given in the appendix.
As to Covid-19, the following information must be sent:
1. for claims reported in 2020 and 2021 attributed to Covid-19 relating to:
- number of claims paid outright and details of those in dispute,
- sums paid partially and definitively,
- sums number and amounts of reserved claims,
- number of claims reserved in a litigation situation,
- number of claims without follow-up.
The data shall be sent via the INFOSTAT app in a xml. format between 15 March and 29 April 2022.
Furthermore, undertakings authorized by IVASS to carry out general liability insurance shall send to IVASS the information indicated in the “Manuale Operativo”, which is attached to the letter to the market.